Sunday, May 1, 2011

SICK

We have only been in Switzerland for two months - I had started getting information on doctors for the kids but had yet to make appointments until the 25 (the day before E's birthday).  I called, asked for the receptionist that speaks English and made appointments for both kids for a check up!  I was pleased that it was fairly simple!  HOWEVER - the afternoon of E's birthday she started complaining of not feeling well.  She woke up in the middle of the night complaining of a sore throat but after checking her temperature (none) and giving her a little Motrin she was fine!  She woke up okay a little tried but okay.  She went to school - Nathan was going to take a half day off so he was going to get her from school - I was going to the grocery store(s) by myself!!!!  When Nate got there to pick her up, they said that they had been trying to get ahold of us and that E did NOT feel good.  Probably strep throat or scarlet fever (which had been going around her class), GREAT!  We held off on Thursday, checking her temp and giving her Motrin on and off.  On Friday morning she woke up with a rash...so I spent the next two hours trying to figure out how to get into the doctor - I kept getting a recording, in French of course, which meant that I had NO idea what it was saying.   IN THE END, I had to call Nathan at work and get him to find someone who spoke French to call and figure out what the message was saying.....the doctor only works half day on Friday - so I waited until they opened and got an appointment.  The doctor was very nice - speaks English fairly well - and diagnosed scarlet fever.  Really I think just a BAD case of strep throat!  Thank goodness mom and dad were here.  Mom went with us and Dad stayed with Zach! 

With that done I got the then figure out the pharmacy - another experience under my belt.  It took longer than I expected partly because they had to find and wait for the one person who spoke English to explain that the medicine needed to be kept in the refrigerator and to shake it before we gave it to her! 

All in all, Elizabeth was better by Sunday but we could not have her friend over on Thursday afternoon for a little birthday tea party - sad!
Love, Nikki

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Elizabeth and Zach are so cute, love the family pics Nik! I can't believe how old she is either. And the scarlet fever story is crazy - is this the 1800s?!! What an ordeal sister.
    I am late in wishing you a Happy Birthday!! Sending you a big hug, and hope you were treated like a queen for the week!
    Love you!
    Slaughter

    ReplyDelete